Old Bank Chambers

The lane, in the photograph below, that runs from St Ann's Square to Cross Street is called Old Bank Street. The portland stone building that is now home to Barclay's Bank is called "Old Bank Chambers". It was built in 1925 by Harry S. Fairhurst for the Manchester Liners Shipping Company. It was the original head office building for the company, later replaced by a concrete and glass building at the head of Dock 6 in Trafford Park.

The image below shows the building under construction.

The Manchester Ship Canal was finished in 1894 and three years later the Manchester Liners Shipping Company was formed as a partner to Furness Withy & Co. Their ships travelled between Manchester and Canada for cattle trade, and Galveston and New Orleans for the cotton trade to the Lancashire mills. The parent company was taken over in 1980 by C. Y. Tung, of Hong Kong and Manchester Liners ceased trading as a separate entity in 1988.