House of Fraser - Kendal Milne

The House of Fraser store occupies this monumental block of Portland limestone punctuated with vertical greenish glass windows. It was built in 1939, by J. S.Beaumont, as an extension to the Kendal Milnes store built in 1873 across Deansgate. When the new building was added to the store it, was connected below Deansgate by a tunnel.

In the photographs below the original Kendals signs still adorn the building.

Kendal's Adverts from the 1940s

Close Window