Mills & Murgatroyd

London Road Station - 1862

The first station was opened on this site in 1842 and was called Store Street Station.  In 1847 it was renamed London Road Station.  In the 1860s Mills and Murgatroyd were responsible for the enlargement of the station building as seen below.

1.  London Road Station   2.  Mayfield Station


The Grand Hotel
, Aytoun Street - 1867

Mills and Murgatroyd created this warehouse for A Collie and Company.  It was converted into The Grand Hotel in 1880.  In 1988 it was converted into apartments by Ian Simpson Architects.


The Royal Exchange, Market Street - 1869 - 1874

The first Exchange was built by Sir Oswald Mosley, the Lord Mayor, in 1729.  It was replaced and modified in 1806 and 1847 and then in 1869 Mills and Murgatroyd were responsible for the building as it looks below.