St. Pancras International, Euston Road, London



Architect
William Barlow - Train Shed - 1863
George Gilbert Scott - St. Pancras Station buildings & hotel - 1876
Rail Link Engineering - Arup, Bechtel, Halcrow, Systra - St. Pancras International - 2008
Location
Euston Road, London
Description
The "World Buildings Directory - Online Database" describes St. Pancras International as, " ... one of the finest examples of Victorian architecture and engineering, being received with great public acclaim and featuring worldwide in international media. It has become a destination in its own right, and has restored the glamour of rail travel."  Today the station is made up of the original Victorian station and hotel and the modern extension completed in 2008.

On the Euston Road stands the magnificent Gothic St. Pancras comprising the hotel and offices designed by George Gilbert Scott and completed in 1876. 



Behind it is the train shed designed by William Barlow that was once the world's largest enclosed space, with a span of 240 feet and a height of 100 feet at its apex. 




The hotel, known as the Midland Grand Hotel at the time, closed in 1935 and was converted into railway offices.  Threatened with demolition in the 1960s John Betjeman campaigned to save the building and succeeded in getting it a Grade I Listed Status.  In recognition of his role in the survival of the station a statue of Betjeman has been erected in the new station.





In 2005 planning permission was given for work to begin on restoring the hotel and it reopened as the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel in the spring of 2011.  It was voted the Number One Hotel in the UK in The Sunday Times Magazine‚Äôs 2011 Top 100 Hotels in the World.

Behind the Victorian building, stands the new extension built to accommodate the terminus for the HS1 high-speed Eurostar rail line.  According to the "Engaging Places" website, "The station has a column-free flexible interior with six new platforms (from renovations completed in 2006) that extend beyond the span of the original train shed. The extension joins the old train shed by means of a cross-concourse and is entered at street level.  ... a concrete floor has been laid at the upper level of the station to secure the structure, allowing cross-girders to be cut through without destabilising the iron arches overhead ...








... Escalators rise through four large slots cut into the platform deck, taking passengers to and from trains."


The modern extension features platforms for the Eurostar trains, as well as shops, restaurants and the departure and arrival points for international travelers.




The station clock remains at the south end of the train shed and beneath it is a bronze statue of a couple in an amorous embrace.  The statue called "The Meeting Place" was created by the British artist Paul Day.






At the base of the statue is a bronze relief frieze also by Paul Day.