Hungerford Pedestrian Bridge aka Golden Jubilee Footbridge  - London, UK

Lifschutz Davidson
Date Built
Flanking Hungerford Bridge across the Thames
The Hungerford Railway Bridge crosses the Thames at this point carrying trains into Charing Cross Station.  The bridge dates back to 1864 when it replaced the original suspension bridge designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.  The bridge pier nearest to the South Bank still contains the entrance doorway and steps for Brunel's steamer pier. 

During its lifetime the railway has also included pedestrian walkways but in 1990 the decision was taken to close the existing walkway, that was deemed to be unsuitable and probably dangerous, and commission a new footbridge.  Lifschtz Davidson won the competition with a design that involved two 4 metre wide footbridges, supported by inclined outward leaning pylons, located on either side of the existing railway bridge. 

The architects say that the design, "
seeks to make best use of the existing bridge and the final form acts as a delicate foil to the heavy railway structure behind.  The use of inclined pylons pays homage to similar structures created for the 1951 Festival of Britain held on the South Bank but takes advantage of advances in structural analysis to create an elegant, lightweight structure."

Close Window