Teatro Regio, Torino, Italy

Carlo Mollino
Date Built
1967 - 1973
Piazza Castello
As seen here from the top of the Palazzo Madam, the Teatro Regio appears to be an older building, a contemporary of its neighbours.  It is in fact a modern building hidden, except for the roof, by the original facade.  The original Teatro Regio was damaged first by fire and later by bombing.  A national competition was launched to find an architect to design a replacement and Carlo Mollino was appointed.  The foundation stone was laid in 1963 but work didn't begin until 1967.  The inaugural performance was held on the 10th of April 1973.

The building also contains a second theatre, the “Giacomo Puccini” Piccolo Regio, which has a capacity of 380 seats.

Two bronze gates form the main entrance to the theatre.  They were designed by the sculptor, Umberto Mastroianni and installed in 1994.

The main entrance features a series of twelve double crystal doors separated by Sardinian granite partitions.

The ceiling of the Foyer is made up a succession of exposed concrete geometric shapes that give rigidity to the structure.

The Foyer del Toro is a large hall dominated by this marble mosaic with a stylised bull at the centre.  The hall looks out on to Piazza Castello.

The auditorium has a chandelier made up of 1,762 stems equipped with light spots and a further 1,900 reflective perspex stems.

The stage has a rectangular proscenium installed in 1996 as part of efforts to address concerns about acoustic problems.  The stalls were also restored in 1996 for the same reason.  It is composed of twenty-nine descending rows containing 1398 red velvet seats.

Around the auditorium there are thirty-one boxes, the largest in the middle has a capacity of 18 chairs.  The side boxes have between 4 and 6 chairs, for a total of 194 seats.

Close Window