Our Lady of the Rosary RC Church, Old Marylebone Road, London

Harry Goodhart-Rendel
Date Built
1959 - 1963
Old Marylebone Road
Our Lady of the Rosary Church sits beside Old Marylebone Road, flanked on one side by a contemporary presbytery and on the other a later administrative building.  English Heritage described the church when it was given Grade II Listed status as, "A grand church which displays Goodhart-Rendel’s manipulation of spaces and planes to great effect.  His last work and one of his best."  Goodhart-Rendel died before the church was completed and the work was overseen by D. A Rud & H. Lewis Curtis.  F. G. Broadbent & Partners were responsible for its construction.

Outside the building features a brown brick facade with red and brown brick diapering, seen in the images above and below.  The west front is dominated by a rectangular tower with six louvered openings at the bell stage and topped by a low saddle roof parallel to the road.

The description of the presbytery at the time of the listing said that it was, "...neo-Georgian, of three storeys, nine main bays with the centre one with two windows, one above the other including a tall window, evidently lighting a staircase. These windows are segmental headed, as are two ground floor windows and two entrance doorways. Other windows square-headed. All are Georgian-style timber sashes with vertical glazing bars."

Below the east end of the church on Crawford Place.

The inside of the church features concrete walls that have been plastered and painted.  The transverse arches that cross the nave are topped by triple segmented arches.  Decorative pendant lights hang from flanks of the arches that are also decorated by sculptural stations of the cross.

Within the barrel roofed sanctuary , the main altar sits against the east wall.  An additional altar is set forward.  The sanctuary is lit by six narrow lancet windows at the back and five on the sides.

Close Window