Cranbrook Estate, Bethnal Green, London

Skinner, Bailey and Lubetkin
Roman Road
Date Built
Estate officially opened in 1964 and completed in 1966.
In 1957 the Bethnal Green Council declared a 17 acre site beside Roman Road as a clearance area.  Compulsory purchase orders were issued and in all more than 1500 residents of the “decaying Victorian terraces" that occupied the site were displaced.  In addition to these old dwellings, the site had also been home to a number of workshops and a large factory.  This became the site for the Cranbrook Estate, named after the road that once ran through the area, 

The estate comprised 6 high-rise blocks of flats (shown in black on the plan below), ...

...a number of four-storey blocks of flats and a number of bungalows intended for seniors (all shown in grey).

Facing Roman Road is a five-storey block called Holman House that has 48 flats above a row of 12 shops. 

All of the buildings are served by a single street called Mace Street that snakes around the site in a figure of eight.

According to the website, “... Large and small buildings, of concrete faced with grey brick, were to have an overall density of 136 persons to an acre and to house 600 families. The first blocks opened at the southern end in 1963  .... Cranbrook estate officially opened in 1964 with 530 dwellings contained in those blocks, in six more of 11-15 storeys named after towns twinned with Bethnal Green, and five of 4 storeys named after demolished streets.  The estate, designed by Skinner, Bailey & Lubetkin and constructed by Wates (London), won an award from the Civic Trust."

Close Window