United Grand Lodge of England - Great Queen Street, London, UK

Henry Victor Ashley and F. Winton Newman
Date Built
60 Great Queen Street
The Grand Lodge was built as a memorial to the Freemasons who died on active service in World War One.  As such, it was known as the Masonic Peace Memorial.  In 1939, at the outbreak of WWII, it was renamed as the Freemason's Hall.

Above the entrance is a clock face with 1717 carved on one side and 1967 on the other.  1717 referes to the year that the first English Grand Lodge was founded and 1967 was the occassion of the 250th anniversary of that occasion.

The United Grand Lodge's website describes the building as, "one of the finest Art Deco buildings in England, and (it) is now Grade II* listed internally and externally. In addition to the Grand Temple (seating 1700) there are 21 Lodge Rooms, a Library and Museum, Board and Committee Rooms and administrative offices. The building is fully open to the public."


Take a look inside.

One of the lodge rooms

The building is essentially triangular with an inner courtyard. 

Within the courtyard is a square building that contains the temple.

Close Window