John Astor House, London

Date Built
1929 - 1931
Foley Street
John Astor House opened in 1931 as a residential college for nurses made possible by an anonymous  donation of £300,000. 

The "Lost Hospitals of London" website explains that, "It provided accommodation for 300 people - 230 Sisters and Nurses, pupils of the Preliminary Training School, as well as those attending Massage and Midwifery courses, and domestic staff.  The building also contained the Preliminary Training School and its classrooms, recreation and smoking rooms, badminton and tennis courts and, in the basement, a swimming pool (only to be used when at least three people were present, two of whom had to be good swimmers).  The oak-panelled dining room was on the ground floor and the kitchen was capable of supplying meals for 300 people at one sitting.  There was also a hairdressing salon in the basement.  (It was later renamed John Astor House, after the anonymous donor was identified in 1948 when the Hospital joined the NHS).

It appears that in 2017 John Astor House is still providing accommodation and is managed by the Genesis Housing Association on behalf of University College London Hospital.  An article on the Fitzrovia News website, dated February 28, 2011, said that, "... The new £1.5 millionFitzrovia Community Centre in Foley Street is due to open this spring. It takes up a corner of the ground floor and basement of John Astor House, owned by University College London Hospital (UCLH). Rooms are available for hire for a variety of community projects. The £1.5 million was provided by the UCLH through an agreement with Camden Council to give Fitzrovia a new community centre in return for permission to build the new hospital on Euston Road. So although geographically in Westminster the new centre comes under the jurisdiction of Camden, to whom it is leased by the UCLH Trust."

Close Window