College Park - Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada



Architect
Ross and Macdonald with Henry Sproatt
Date
Between 1928 and 1930
Location
Yonge Street and College Street
Description
Eaton's had plans in 1928 to build a major retail/office complex on this site but the Depression brought an end to that.  The only part of the proposed development to survive was this building which started life as an Eaton's department store.





The Wikipedia site for College Park describes the building as follows, "Tyndall limestone (from Tyndall Manitoba) was used for the imposing exterior. Accentuating the Tyndall limestone was granite and a corrosion-resistant alloy of nickel and copper, called monel metal. The monel metal was used copiously on the building as trim and in panels along the window and door frames. In addition to this metal trim, cast stone and carvings acted as detailed decorative elements on the fa├žade. Marble was imported from Europe for the interior columns and colonnade"






















In 1977 the Eaton's Centre Shopping Mall opened at Yonge and Dundas and resulted in the closure of this store and the main one further down Yonge Street.  Today, the College Park building is home to a boutique shopping centre and a variety of office tenants.






- Inside views -


























Close Window