Barber Institute of Fine Arts, University of Birmingham, UK

Robert Atkinson
Date Built
1935 - 1939
The University of Birmingham's website describes the Barber Institute of Fine Arts building as, "... one of Birmingham’s finest Art Deco buildings, purpose built and opened by Queen Mary in 1939." 

The Barber was listed in 1981 and at that time it was described as being sophisticated in design, "... marrying elements of traditional institutional classicism with Dudok inspired stone dressed brick modern. A 2 storey compact block with shallow full height portal wing to right hand of front. Ashlar faced ground floor and blind lst floor of brick with flat coped roofline."

In 1946 the building was awarded a bronze medal by the Royal Institute of British Architects


The University points out that inside the building is, "...  laid out around the central music auditorium"

On the ground floor, "... are offices and lecture halls for the Departments of Music and History of Art, as well as a dedicated Art History library. .....

The Art Gallery occupies, "... the same space on the first floor, approached by a magnificent travertine staircase directly opposite the entrance."

Close Window