Waterloo Road Fire Station, London

For the London County Council, possibly by HFT Cooper under the superintendence of Owen Fleming and Charles Canning Winmill.
Date Built
150 Waterloo Road
This former Fire Station on the Waterloo Road ceased to operate as that in 1986 when it became the Headquarters of the London Ambulance Service.  Today, it is a Grade II Listed office building with a bar occupying the ground floor.

The building style is described in its listing notes as, "... a free version of the Edwardian Baroque" adding that, ".... On the ground floor are segmental-headed sash windows and three asymmetrically placed vehicular entrances with folding doors and a lettered frieze in two sections above, reading LCC FIRE BRIGADE STATION A.D. 1910 and WATERLOO ROAD. A datestone announcing the opening of the fire station is located between the double doors beneath the LCC frieze. ....

..... On the first floor, above a moulded cill band, are seven closely spaced windows with paired sashes under segmental heads with advanced triple keystones. On the second floor are three groups of three taller sash windows with Gibbs surrounds and advanced keystones, between which are two smaller circular windows. The fourth floor, above a plain cill band, has seven smaller windows with paired sashes. The roof has a deep projecting dentil cornice, four big brick stacks and seven tall dormer windows under alternating segmental and triangular pediments."

Close Window