Viking Ship Museum, Oslo, Norway

Arnstein Arneberg
Date Built
1926 - 1932
Huk Aveny 35, 0287 Oslo
The origin of the Viking Ship Museum appears to date back to 1913 when Gabriel Gustafson proposed that a building be designed to accommodate the 19th and early 20th Century viking finds that include the Gokstad and Oseberg ships.  Arnstein Arneberg won the competition that was held for such a building and by 1926 the first part of the building designed to accommodate the Oseberg ship was completed.

The halls for the ships from Gokstad and Tune were completed in 1932.

A fourth hall, that houses artifacts, was finished after the war in 1957.

In recent years there has been a debate about the future of the museum.  Concerns about fire safety and lack of space for such a popular museum led to the suggestion that the ships should be moved into a new building.  However, concerns over the fragility of the ships raised questions as to whether they would survive a move.  In 2015 it was announced that the existing museum building would be extended and after a competition the Danish architects AART were commissioned to design the extension.

- more images of the museum -