Central St. Martins School of Art, London

E. P. Wheeler
Date Built
Southampton Row, Camden Town
This Grade II* Listed building on the corner of Southampton Row and Theobalds Road was once home to Central St. Martin's College of Art and Design.  Originally it was shared by the Central School of Arts and Crafts and the London Day Training College.  The listing comments describe it as follows:  "5 storeys and corner attic. Long front of 14 windows to Southampton Row, canted corner and short return of 6  windows to Theobalds Road and three to High Holborn. Ground  storey has round-headed windows and impost bands with  rectangular slabs of granite above, originally intended for  relief carvings. First and second storeys have windows of  irregular width, slightly recessed and united under a  round-headed arch. Third storey with similar windows between string courses. Fourth storey with small, square windows  alternating with decorative stone grilles in the form of  lozenges with inset circles. Heavy bracketed cornice."

A small sculpture is located on the corner of the building at street level.  It depicts a woman supporting the coats of arms of St George and City of London.  It carries the date of 1908 and the inscription 'Labor omnia vincit' meaning "work conquers all".

Close Window