Sjomams Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden

Axel Anderberg
Date Built
1911 - 1915
Katarinavägen 19
The sign on the front of this impressive building, looking out onto Stockholm's Salt Lake, declares it to be a Seamans' Mission, which it was at one point in its history, but it didn't start out that way.  The clue to its beginnings lies in the weather vane which is shaped in the form of a railway locomotive.

Originally, the building functioned as Stadsgardens Railway Station with sidings and a quay for unloading on Stadsgarden.  From the quayside the building rises eight floors but the top three storeys are also accessible from Katarinsvagen, as you can see below.  (The image below is from Wikimedia Commons and is shown here under a Creative Commons License details of which can be seen by clicking on this link.)

It appears to have ceased to operate as a station, offices and a warehouse by the mid 1930s, after which it became home to the Sailor's Institute and the Seamans' Church.  They too moved out circa 2008 and the building was sold, according to Wikipedia to Estancia Fastigheter, for an undisclosed amount.

Close Window