Rozen Theatre, Amsterdam, Holland

Architect Z.D. Gulden and M. Geldmaker.
Date Built
Rozengracht 117
The Rozen Theatre opened as a cinema in March of 1913.  A photograph of the interior published in the book ‘Saturday Night At The Movies’- Part 1' by Richard van Bueren, shows Art Nouveau stencil patterns on the side walls and around the proscenium.  13 years later the theatre reopened as the Asta Theatre which was also a cinema, but by 1933 it was staging French Revue live performances.  Following the German invasion of 1940, the theatre was initially closed but then reopened.  Live shows continued to be staged after the war, but that came to a end in 1948 when it once again became a cinema called the Capitol.  One more name change happened in 1971, when it reverted to its original name, the Rozen Theatre.  The rose theme of the building is reflected in the stain glass that you can see on the facade.

In 2004 the Dutch architectural practice Macanoo completed a renovation of the building.  On their website they explain that, "Over the years, most of the building’s clear layout disappeared as the main public spaces were divided into separate rooms and corridors. Mecanoo’s new design continues the tradition of this monumental building as a place of experiment and entertainment for a youthful audience.  All public spaces such as the main theatre and foyer are furnished with new materials in bold colours. Fashioned from recycled plastic, the bar stands in front of a red acrylic wall whose colour and texture recall a sea of roses as a nod to the name of the theatre. .... In the main theatre, the colour palette on the walls progresses from light pink to dark purple. A black box theatre was created in the old cinema by flattening the floor.  A moveable tribune, seating 190, enables various configurations to suit changing needs."

Close Window