Royal School of Mines, London

Sir Aston Webb
Date Built
1909 to 1913
Prince Consort Road
This Grade II Listed building at the corner of Exhibition Road and Prince Consort Road in Kensington is described by English Heritage as a, "Grand symmetrical Classical building. Three storeys plus attics and basement.  Rusticated quoins. Thirty-three bays wide, the centre seven set forward and articulated by Roman Ionic pilasters." 

It was built as the home of the School of Mines to replace their earlier home on Exhibition Road that is now part of the Victoria and Albert Museum. 

The building is clad in Portland stone and on either side of the grand entrance are two memorial sculptures.  One is for Alfred Beit ....

.... and the other Julius Wernher, benefactors of the school.  The sculptures were created by P. R. Montford. 

The west wing of the building is named after Aston Webb and the east after the Goldsmiths' Company.

Close Window