James Administration Building, Montreal, Canada

Ross & MacDonald
Date Built
845 Sherbrooke Street West
In 1922 McGill University commissioned the architectural practice of Ross & MacDonald to design a building to provide the Department of Biology with a new and larger home.  It was erected on the site of the former Medical Building lost in a fire in 1907.  The new biology building, clad in Montreal limestone, came with a sculpture of a frog above the main entrance to announce to the world the nature of the work going on inside.

In 1965 the Department of Biology was once again looking to expand its facilities and this was solved by the creation of the Stewart Biological Sciences Building on Dr. Penfield Avenue.  Once the biologists moved out, this building was converted into the James Administration Building, named after F. Cyril James, a former principal of the university.  It is now home to the Department of Physical Resources and the offices of the principal, vice-principal, registrar, and cashier.

Close Window