Carliol House, Pilgrim Street & Market Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

L J Couver & Partners with Burnet Tait and Lorne
Date Built
Corner of Pilgrim and Market Streets
Carliol House has been described as a "shallow crescent" since it curves its way along Market Street East from the corner with Pilgrim Street.  A prominent rounded turret marks the corner and below the leaded roof of the turret is a carved shield bearing the initials CH and the date 1927, marking the completion date of the building. 

Carliol House is named after a prominent local family of merchants and politicians from the 13th and 14th Centuries. 

The building has a steel-framed structure faced with ashlar Portland stone and a number of art deco features inside and out.  Today it is only partly occupied although apparently it has retained many of its original features including flooring, light fittings and air conditioning units.  The original control room of the electrical company still survives.

An article, written by Brian Nicholls. in a local Newcastle newspaper, the Journal, dated December 6, 2000, speculated on the building having a future as a department store.  The article points out that when it was built the building had, "innovative heating and cleaning systems. Sixty tons of electrically heated water were circulated through coiled pipes in the ceiling to heat it, and it was the first building to include an integral vacuum-cleaning system enabling the cleaning machines to be plugged straight into the wall.  ...  Originally it was the headquarters of Nesco, the region's first private-sector electrical company, which was a pioneer nationally and internationally in power supply.  With nationalisation in 1948, Carliol House became the home of North Eastern Electricity Board, subsequently evolving into Northeastern Electricity and Gas."