John  Owens
At the end of St. John's Street is a small park bound by wrought iron railings.  A small cross in the garden has at its base a number of plaques. 

One of them points out that this park was in  fact the church yard of St. John's Church.  The church was demolished in 1931 but as the plaque points out that the remains of 22,000 people lie buried in the vicinity.  When the church was still here the church yard was actually paved with tombstones laid flat on the ground.

Today only 2 stones remain one to Owen Owens and one to John Owens.

Owen Owens was the father of John Owens.  Owen Owens was a prosperous merchant from North Wales.  He has a successful hat lining company in Manchester.  John was educated in Ardwick and later became a partner in his father's business.  As their business grew they became involved in trading calico around the world and importing cotton, hides wheat and other commodities.  John Owen died at his house in Chorlton-upon-Medlock in 1846 leaving a bequest of £96,654 for the foundation of a college. 

The money was used to purchase Richard Cobden's former home on Quay Street which became the first home of Owens College in 1851.  In later years Owens College moved to Oxford Road and became the University of Manchester.

Close Window