Salford Central StationSalford Station opened in 1838 as a terminus on the Manchester and Bolton line. Five years later the line was extended to Victoria Station. The connection was carried on iron columns. In 1988 it was renamed Salford Central.
In late 2006 a £5Million refurbishment began. The Manchester Evening News described it as, "a multi-million pound facelift with improved security measures and a glamorous new look.....Work on Salford Central, to begin before Christmas, will include CCTV, a new glazed entrance and ticket office, shops and other improved facilities. Disabled access will also be upgraded as part of the £5m revamp. The revamp will also see a new public address system and customer information screens installed and taxi and bus facilities will also be upgraded."
In February of 2008 Ruth Kelly, MP for Bolton West and Secretary of State for Transport, officially opened the new look Salford Central train station.