Crowcroft Park is
located 3 miles south of Manchester City Centre and
actually lies just south of the Longsight -
Levenshulme border. It is bounded on the west by
Stockport Road, on the north by East Road, on the east
by Northmoor Road. The southern boundary is marked by
a conglomeration of side streets and Crowcroft Park
School. There are a number of entrances to the park
from each of its boundary roads. Within, Crowcroft
Park is an unremarkable recreational area. It does not
have a boating lake or a stream flowing through it. It
does, however, have a childrens' playground in the
northeast corner and bowling greens along the East
Road boundary. It once boasted a Victorian bandstand
and a structure known as the Summer Shed, an
open-sided shelter with a roof supported on columns
made from tree trunks.
Park was opened to the public as a recreational area
it appears that this piece of land had an industrial
use. Early maps of the area show a cluster of
buildings identified as a "Cotton Manufactury". By
1842 though all of the buildings had been demolished
clearing the way for the construction, at the
beginning of the 20th century of a park for the
enjoyment of the residents of Longsight and
Levenshulme. Early post cards of the park show that it
had bowling greens and a rather ornate band stand.
Here is the "Summer House" with the bandstand in the distance.
Picture by Les Cotton, Wednesday, March 24, 1999
Above: The site of the famous water tap, somewhat changed over the years.
The pictures above and below were taken by Les Cotton, March 24, 1999
The well-preserved former stables and buildings in Crowcroft Park, behind the top bowling green. Photograph donated by Graham Todd.