Quarry Bank Mill - Style
The Quarry Bank Mill was built in 1784 by Samuel Greg in the village of Style south of the Manchester City Centre. It was water powered originally by an iron wheel built between 1816 and 1820 by Thomas Hewes.
That wheel no longer powers the mill. Today a wheel from Patley Bridge, designed by Sir William Fairbairn has replaced it. The Mill and the surrounding estate was donated to the National Trust in 1939. It actually contnued in commercial production until 1959.
Among the buildings on the site is an Apprentice House which was bult to accommodate the children, many from workhouses, who were indentured to the mill.
For the children a long day of working at the mill was followed by school.