Lower Mosley Street Omnibus Station

The image above is shown with the permission of the Old Bus Photos Website

The Lower Mosley Street Omnibus Station sat at the corner of Lower Mosley Street and Great Bridgewater Street across from Central Station. 

The image above is shown with the permission of Eric Rowland of the
Artus Genealogy Resources Website

It opened in 1928.   George Turnbull, Head of Collections Management at the Museum of Transport on Boyle Street in Manchester says this of the station, "It was used by the long distance coach operators – mainly the North Western Road Car Company and Ribble Motor Services, along with the “joint operators” with which they co-operated. 

This resulted in vehicles from Lancashire United, Trent Motor Traction, Northern General, United, Yorkshire Woollen District, Yorkshire Traction, Crosville, East Midland, Midland Red etc.  Services to Scotland were provided by Scottish Omnibuses Ltd and Western SMT, from a site across Great Bridgewater Street.   In addition, local services were provided by Manchester Corporation and the Stalybridge, Hyde Mossley & Dukinfield Transport Board, at various times."

It can be seen below in RAF aerial photographs from 1953.

A.  Central Station
B.  Midland Hotel
C.  Lower Mosley Street Bus Station
D.  Britons Protection pub
E.  Bus Station Café

(Note the blue line shows the route of the Manchester & Salford Junction Canal)

Across Great Bridgewater Street from the main bus station, in a space between two buildings, there was a parking place for express buses.

The image below is shown with the permission of Christopher Leach (from his Busworld Photography Blogspot) and shows the bus station café, that once stood beside The Britons Protection pub on Great Bridgewater Street.

In 1972 the bus station closed and a year later it was demolished.  The excellent photograph below was taken by the Manchester  photographer Len Grant and it shows the site after the demolition of the bus station and in the early stages of ground preparation for the construction of the Bridgewater Hall that replaced it.