Church of St George with St Barnabus, Salford

Only the Grade II Listed tower of this church remains standing at the corner of Trafford Road and Eccles New Road.  The church was designed by E. H. Shellard and built in 1858.  It closed in 1993 and was subsequently demolished.  The description of the tower and spire at the time of its listing described it as, "... Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Decorated style. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses. 4-light window in west, with quatrefoil tracery. Clock above, and 3-light bell chamber light in stilted arch. Broach spire with lucarnes. Plain moulded arch to former nave to E, and remains of springing of nave arcade."

Close Window