Apparently, Blackfriars Bridge was first erected in 1761. The original structure was a wooden footbridge accessed on the Manchester side by a flight of twenty-nine steps down to the bridge that was at the level of the Salford bank of the Irwell. In 1817 the old bridge was taken down and replaced by the stone one we see today. That bridge was built between 1818 and 1820 to a design by Thomas Wright. Pevsner described it as, "three stately arches with coupled Ionic columns rising from cutwaters."