The shelter and drinking fountain were erected in the Market Place in Middleton in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. It was paid for by Wood's stepmother and provided Wood with his first independent design opportunity. The structure was approximately ten feet square and built of timber on a stone base and roofed with heavy stone slates. Archer describes it as having, "..a Tudor flavour in that it was a fully timber-framed structure with quatrefoil panels below the sill."
The shelter was moved to accommodate road improvements and was later demolished.