Rhinos made their appearance in the Belle Vue collection quite early on. In fact, in 1856 a list of the collection indicated that the Jennisons now had six lions, three camels and two rhinos. At one point they were housed in the Elephant House, and then in the Giraffe and Camel House, but in 1937 an new outdoor enclosure was built using stone blocks from the City Goal that was demolished nearby.
The rhino images above & below are shown with permission from Tommy Kelly
Above is an extract from the Belle Vue Zoo Guide 1947
All the material on this web site is © David Boardman, unless otherwise stated, and may not be copied, downloaded or otherwise reproduced or retransmitted without the written permission of the webmaster.
Any contravention of the copyright of others is unintentional and will be corrected immediately when brought to the attention of the webmaster.