The first giraffes arrived at Belle Vue in 1871. The Jennisons purchased four specimens at that time. A small Giraffe House was built in 1878 but it was dismantled in the early 1880s after the giraffes died and for a while the Jennisons gave up on trying to keep giraffes. It wasn't until 1904 that giraffes were once again added to the collection. They were housed in the Camel House across from the Paddock and had an adjacent outdoor enclosure.
The image above is shown with the permission of Tommy Kelly.
The image below is shown with the permission of Al Martin
All the material on this web site is © David Boardman, unless otherwise stated, and may not be copied, downloaded or otherwise reproduced or retransmitted without the written permission of the webmaster.
Any contravention of the copyright of others is unintentional and will be corrected immediately when brought to the attention of the webmaster.