The Children's Zoo
The Childrens' Zoo

Work started on the Childrens' Zoo in 1955 in an area of the gardens next to the old Firework Factory.  It cost 15,000 and was opened by a stage actor Francis Lederer dressed as the Pied Piper leading the children into the new attraction.  In addition to the animals Willie a concrete whale was one of the more prominent features.  It can be glimpsed in the image below.  Willie was 32 feet long and 8 feet high and contained an aquarium.





Below are two images showing Matt Kelly, the Head Keeper, showing a group of children around the Children's Zoo.




*****************************************

All the material on this web site is David Boardman, unless otherwise stated, and may not be copied, downloaded or otherwise reproduced or retransmitted without the written permission of the webmaster.

Any contravention of the copyright of others is unintentional and will be corrected immediately when brought to the attention of the webmaster.