Belle Vue had
two lakes. The smaller of the two was known as
the Small Lake but more commonly the Firework
Lake because it was on its island that the
elaborate firework dramas were played out. The
larger lake was created in 1858 and was known
as the Great Lake. It was located in the Hyde
Road, Kirkmanshulme Lane corner of the park
and fed with water from the Stockport Branch
Canal. The original lake was round. Then in
1876 is was made into more of a pear shape,
bringing the lake closer to the Lake Hotel. In
1882 an island was created and a prominent
clock tower was added.
Both lakes were used for boat rides of various
kinds ranging from the large paddle steamers and the
row-boats to, in more recent years, motorboats and
The clock tower, on the
island in the Great Lake, was demolished in 1949 and
some years later a windmill was erected on the island.
All the material on this web site is © David Boardman,
unless otherwise stated, and may not be copied,
downloaded or otherwise reproduced or retransmitted
without the written permission of the webmaster.
Any contravention of the copyright of others is
unintentional and will be corrected immediately when
brought to the attention of the webmaster.