Repertory Theatre, Birmingham, UK



Architect
Graham Winteringham of S. T. Walker & Partners
Date Built
1969 - 1971
Location
Broad Street
Description
The Birmingham Repertory Theatre (known as The Rep) was founded in 1913 when an amateur company known as the Pilgrim Players took up residence in a building on Station Road that is known today as the Old Rep.  It is called that because in 1971 the company moved into this building on Broad Street and called it The Rep.  To be precise they moved into the building that you can see rising up behind the glass and concrete entrance.  The original building provided the company with a 901 seat theatre that was opened first by Princess Margaret and then initiated with an adaptation of Pride & Prejudice starring Patricia Routledge. 



In 1999 an extension was added to the front of the theatre that the Pevsner Guide to Birmingham describes as, "... a miniature Norman Foster-style glass front, its flattened curve reflecting the main fa├žade.   Interior modelling by Pawson Williams ... left the foyer's cantilever staircases and rough concrete ceiling, but removed impressive brutalist exposed heating ducts."









In 2013 the Rep reopened after another period of refurbishment and redesign. 





It was linked into its new neighbour, the Library of Birmingham.  The two buildings now share a common entrance foyer.







Close Window