Plan West, Amsterdam, Holland



Architect
Allard Remco Hulshoff. Jan Gratama and Gerrit Versteeg
Date Built
1925 - 1927
Location
Hoofddorppleinbuurt, Surinamebuurt, Admiralenbuurt and Mercatorbuurt
Description
After World War One, the City of Amsterdam instigated two major expansions designed to address the shortage of housing.  The first was known as Plan South and the second Plan West.  The Plan West Wikipedia page (somewhat awkwardly translated) explains that, "The construction of the houses took place in the style of the Amsterdam School. The neighborhood was built between 1925 and 1927, which was very fast. That was partly due to a standing committee in which the three makers of Plan West were supplemented with representatives of Building and Housing, the ministry of Public Works and the management of the construction company executive. This committee had with Van der Schaar prepared a development plan and the silhouettes of street and square walls determined. Architects who largely had also participated in Plan Zuid, designed the fa├žade walls after a beauty committee assessed the whole. The outer walls were the only thing that these architects were allowed designs. They had so little room for maneuver because their various housing types were presented to which they were bound. These floor plans of the houses, which had already been designed by the architectural firm Gulden and Moneymaker met the building codes and construction techniques. Only the facades were still stuck in these drawings. Among architects (this) was jokingly (referred to as) pinafores architecture."































One feature of the development was long street walls, some as long as 250 metres.  From a design perspective the monotony of long street walls was compensated for by more elaborate corners and ingenious facades.









Close Window