The KaDeWe - Tauentzienstrasse, Berlin, Germany




Architect
1907 Emil Schaudt   Enlarged 1929 - 30 by Schaudt and Stroeming
Date Built
1907 - enlarged 1929 - rebuilt 1950 - enlarged again 1976
Location
Tauentzienstra├če in Berlin
Description
The KaDeWe (abbreviation for Kaufhaus des Westens or Department Store of the West) is the second largest department store in Europe.  It sits on Tauentzienstra├če in Berlin between Wittenbergplatz and Breitscheidplatz.  The original store was founded in 1905 and the building, that Emil Schaudt designed, opened in 1907 .  It had an area of 24,000 square metres but in 1929 work began on an expansion of the store under the direction of the architectural practice of Schaudt and Stroeming.  During WWII the building suffered extensive damage including a fire started when an American bomber crashed into the building. 

Reconstruction began in 1950 and by 1956 all seven floors were reopened.  A further expansion happened in 1976-78 when it nearly doubled in size to 44,000 square metres.




















Below: "Le Buffet, the Wintergarten on the 7th floor


















Close Window