Qadria Jilania Islamic Centre
Formerly the Church of St. John the Apostle and Evangelist
The Qadria Jilania Islamic Centre sits on the corner of Holmfirth Street and St. John's Road, in Longsight.The building was originally the church of St. John the Apostle and Evangelist built between 1845 and 1846 on a site donated by Sir. J. W. H. Anson to a design by the architect J. E. Gregan, the architect of the Mechanic's Institute, on Princess Street in Manchester, see below.
When it opened, the church was capable of holding 900 worshipers. It is the oldest of the churches in Longsight. In 1979 St. John's amalgamated with St. Cyprian's Church and some of the fittings from the latter can be seen in St. John's.
only church in Longsight to have a graveyard although
it has not been
used since 1966.
Among the gravestones is this one for members of the Siddall family. This is the same name as the family that bought Slade Hall in 1580.
images of the St. John's Church Whit Week Walks.
images were generously donated by Robert Shorthose.